Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mileage results

With this latest tank of gas I was able to pull off 329 miles. This is in the Sunfire of course, the BMW would never be able to do that (I don't think). All of it was city driving conditions. I made sure I was easy on the throttle all the time, barely touching it most of the time. The sad thing is that I could still out accelerate a lot of people. I'm not sure on the exact mpg since I only put 6.5 gallons back in it since gas prices are high right now and they should drop a little more by the weekend. But I think it was around 26mpg. That doesn't sound great but this is on a 10 year old car and with a coil pack that is going bad (has been for years).

With this small tank of gas I am going to start using the neutral coasting down the hills. This drops the RPMs to about 700 rather than 1500 with it in drive. I've tried the shutting off of the car at stop lights before and that is taking it a little to far. I also don't agree with the people that run the stop signs to keep from having to stop. I'm thinking the coasting should get me at least another .5 to 1 mile per gallon.

No comments: